Oral Cancer and Screening
Oral cancer is often thought of as a single specific type of cancer, but it is really just a name for a variety of cancers. This subset includes lip, tongue, floor of mouth, throat, sinuses, and hard and soft palate cancers. While if caught early it is often successfully treated, most are not found until the later stages, in which it becomes much more difficult to treat. When found too late, oral cancer can sometimes become life threatening. At Beyond Dental Health, our goal is to always detect and treat oral cancers as quickly as possible, being sure to fight it fast. Oral cancer screenings are provided at our routine checkups and exams.
The following are symptoms of oral cancer:
- Feeling that something is stuck in your throat or having a sore throat constantly
- Bleeding in mouth for no reason
- Lasting and constantine sore on the face, neck, pr mouth that does not heal within two weeks and bleeds easily.
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the mouth, neck, or face
- Pain in the ear
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips or other parts in or around the mouth
- Speckled, red, or white patches in the mouth
- Swallowing, chewing, speaking difficulty
- Change in the way your teeth or dentures fit
While we always screen for oral cancer during checkups, there can be upwards of 6 months or more between screenings. Therefore the most important person to ensure your oral health is you. If you notice any of these problems please do not hesitate to contact us as soon as possible. We are committed to keeping you and your mouth in the best health possible.
appointment at any of
our four locations.