We are all busy and I am sure that you are no different. In our family, we have two working parents, three kids and our beloved Chocolate Lab. It’s tough to keep everyone focused on health and nutrition in day-to-day life while managing everything else, but it’s important to make the extra effort to stay healthy.
As a dental office, we focus on your oral health, but also want to help keep you healthy overall with a focus on your whole body. As you may know, this quarter, we’re focusing on the critical aspect of nutrition. Today, I’m excited to share some efficient tips and tricks for incorporating healthy nutrition, food choices, and the right type of exercise into your busy lifestyle, all while considering your oral health.
Our kids love chips and sweets. Sometimes, it’s hard to avoid, but we do our best to create balance and make smart choices. Here are some tips that work for us:
Maximizing Health through Nutrition
Prioritize whole, nutrient-dense foods
- Consume fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Avoid processed and sugary foods to maintain optimal dental health.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to support oral and overall health.
- We have several of the metal water bottles in our house that everyone loves – when they are dropped, they definitely dent or crack the floor, but they are great to keep water cold.
- Limit sugary beverages, alcohol, and acidic drinks to protect teeth and gums. We have a rule where we have no soda in the house. Beyond just your teeth, that amount of sugar is not healthy for your body.
Don’t forget calcium and vitamin D
- Ensure adequate calcium intake from dairy products, leafy greens, or fortified foods for strong teeth and bones. With that said, limit the amount of dairy you consume, especially before bed.
- Get enough vitamin D from sunlight, fatty fish, or fortified foods to enhance calcium absorption. We are finally in the time of year where it is great to get outside to get more sun. We love walking the dog and playing basketball in the driveway.
When You Snack, Choose Wisely
- Choose teeth-friendly snacks like cheese, nuts, and yogurt.
- Our kids love vegetables with peanut butter and even better, humus
- As mentioned, our kids also love sugar and chips – we do our best to minimize both and refocus them on natural ingredients, limited salt and especially limited sugar.
- Avoid sticky, sugary snacks that can damage your teeth.
Opt for less acidic foods
- Limit consumption of citrus fruits and tomato-based products to reduce acid exposure for your teeth.
Chew sugar-free gum
- Chewing sugar-free gum after meals can stimulate saliva production, neutralizing acids and washing away food debris.
Efficient Exercise for Busy Schedules
Make the most of your time
- Opt for high-intensity interval training (HIIT) to maximize calorie burn and fitness improvements in a shorter time frame.
Make a routine and form habits
- We like exercise in the morning and don’t even think about it anymore – wake up and exercise, it is part of our routine
Combine cardio and strength training
- Perform compound exercises like squats, lunges, and push-ups to target multiple muscle groups and improve cardiovascular health.
Choose activities you enjoy
- Pick activities that you look forward to and are more likely to maintain long-term – games are often more fun than programs – our family loves basketball which is also great have some competition and socialize
Don’t forget about oral hygiene
- Maintain a regular dental care routine, including brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting Beyond Dental Health for routine checkups and cleanings.
Incorporating the right nutrition, smart food choices, and efficient exercise habits can significantly impact your oral and overall health. At Beyond Dental Health, we are committed to helping you achieve optimal health and wellness. Remember, staying consistent and making small changes in your daily routine can lead to significant improvements. If you have any questions or concerns about your oral health, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to support you every step of the way! Keep Smiling!